The Original Ranch is an SKP Co-op Park for members of the Escapees RV Club located on the northern edge of the Chihuahuan Desert in Southeastern New Mexico between Artesia and Carlsbad.
Established in 1982 by Escapee founders Joe and Kay Peterson, The Original Ranch’s mission is based on the concept of community, sharing and service.
As is fitting, the park is run by volunteers, encouraging members to form a community that shares our knowledge, skills and talents. The Ranch is also renowned for being the friendliest park in the Escapees system, as evidenced by the welcome bell that draws members to the office to welcome each new arrival with hugs and smiles.
All members are encouraged to participate in committee activities of their choice and social events. There is something here for everyone to do and to enjoy!
The Original Ranch Facts
- We are located in Lakewood, Eddy County
- We are 50 miles north of Carlsbad Caverns
- We are 50 miles south of Roswell, NM – Home of the annual Alien Festival and the International UFO Museum
- We are within 5 miles of Brantley Lake for fishing and kayaking
- We are 41 miles from Sitting Bull Falls, NM
- We are less than 16 miles from Artesia Veterans Clinic and a free Veterans Transport Network is available to provide rides to Carlsbad, Artesia, Roswell, and Albuquerque for medical services
- Also in Artesia is the Artesia High School state champion Bulldogs football team which plays in a wonderful professional state-of-the-art stadium for fun nights out
- We are very proud of our Reverse Osmosis Water System and the quality of water it produces.
- We have spectacular Sunrises and Sunsets!
- If you are into Birding, one of your Life birds may be in the area
- Genealogy Research Centers are available in Carlsbad, Artesia, and Roswell
- If you are a Rockhound, check out The Rockhounds Guide to New Mexico
- We are The Friendliest SKP CoOp Park in the Escapees RV System!
- If you are a Full Timer looking for a base, we are your Park! A place you can call Home.
- We are an Escapees CoOp with 118 sites
- We have lots available. Some have casitas, some don’t.
- Our lot prices are very reasonable.
- We do not currently have a waiting list!
- New Mexico does not tax Social Security for most residents
- Tuition free college is available to residents who meet eligibility guidelines